Sunday, July 24, 2011

Double Review: Shiver & Linger

Shiver and Linger
by Maggie Stiefvater


Shiver: 7.5 out of 10 stars
Linger: 8 out of 10 stars


Initial Reactions
One of the best things these books have going for them is that Maggie Stiefvater has come up with such an original way to write about such a cliched plot device. The werewolves of Mercy Falls aren't the violent, deadly, full-moon-transforming werewolves of folklore; they turn into actual wolves and stay that way for months at a time. Initially I wasn't sure I liked these changes, but I realized that they really tie into the plot very well.

Maggie has such a creative way of writing. Her characters use poetry and song quite often, but she also narrates in a poetic voice. It took me two reads of Shiver to adjust to her style - it's just so different from most authors today.

At first, I didn't particularly care for Sam. He came off as a sappy, unrealistic ideal of a teenage boy, but I grew to appreciate both him and Grace, especially in the context of their relationship to Isabel and Cole. I loved having Isabel come into the story more. Her snarky comments are hilarious, but she also ads an emotional depth that balances Sam and Grace's passion.
And of course, there's Cole. Cole! I do love him, despite his tendency toward arrogance and narcissism. He makes a good foil/potential love interest for Isabel.


Noteworthy
1. The risk that the wolves will stay wolves forever adds a touching dimension to the character interaction and the reader's attachment to them

2. None of Maggie's characters are flat - each is very carefully and realistically developed.

3. I really like the flashbacks to the characters' childhoods, particularly Sam's. I love watching him with Beck and the rest of the pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment