Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Too Many Gizmos?



The new nook:  How could you not want this?


Barnes and Noble finally announced yesterday the arrival of the next addition to the nook family: the Simple Touch e-Reader.  And of course, it was love at first sight.


I do feel a bit guilty for wanting this, though, primarily because I already own two e-readers.  The nookColor is an awesome hi-def touchscreen, particularly for magazines and such.  I also have an iPad, which is an awesome hi-def touchscreen, particularly for magazines and such.  Do you see my dilemma?  (Disclaimer: I did NOT buy the iPad for use as an e-reader, it just happens to have that capability.  So technically, I only have one dedicated e-reader.)

The practical side of me says I definitely don't need another gadget in my life, especially if that gadget will render one of my other gadgets obsolete. But here's why I want to ignore myself:
Sooo much time-wasting potential.
  • The new nook is half the price of the nook color, and a fraction of the iPad's cost.  It would not be nearly so large an investment.
  • You can read it outside, even in direct sunlight!!  I'm sorry, but my other gadgets just can't do that.
  • The battery life is A-Mazing.  I'm sorry, nook color, I love you but you die so quickly.
Of course, all this is moot until I manage to find another job - it's definitely not a critical purchase at the moment.  But one can dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment