Sunday, May 8, 2011

The King's Speech: Better L-L-Late Than N-N-Never

The King's Speech

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

I have to confess that I have been seriously reluctant to see this movie, mostly because I felt that it pushed out other deserving movies in line for awards, like Inception and Winter's Bone. I managed to avoid watching it until last night, when my parents ordered it from Netflix, and started it while I was still in the room. The King's Speech hooked me against my will and forced me to watch it all the way through. Well, ok, it was only against my will the first ten minutes, then I went with the flow.
The end result? My attitude has completely changed. This period piece about England's King George VI was truly stunning. All the actors were marvelous, but none shined brighter than Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. From the beginning you are right there in the story with them. Few films these days achieve that level of character development. I must grudgingly admit that yes, their awards were well-deserved.
Have I learned my lesson? Will I take the academy's recommendations from now on? Not likely. I still think they skip over excellent films to favor the big production studios, but this was a case where the winners certainly earned it.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this movie too. I never took Colin Firth seriously before but he's awesome.

    ReplyDelete