Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Peculiar Book...But Good!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs

3.5 out of 5 stars

I downloaded this book on my nook in response to Entertainment Weekly's recommendation: The book was on the Must List for a week, and mentioned again for a week or two after that. Being an avid paranormal and fantasy novel reader, I was highly intrigued.
If the book has anything going for it, it is certainly the originality. It was its own unique world and storyline, and at no point did I feel that the author was just rehashing every fantasy novel known to man. I give a lot of points for creativity.
The author also chose to employ a rather unique tool in the telling of his tale, one not normally found in adult fiction: pictures. I'm sure it would be nice in the paper version as well, but on my nook color, which has an HD color screen, it was enormously entertaining, and definitely enhanced the reading experience. Some of the old-timey looking photographs were even creepy-looking enough to give me shivers.
I didn't give out more points here for several reasons. First, the romance that the author sets up between Jacob and Emma does feel a little canned to me, but I am hyper-critical of romance in novels anyway. I would rather have characters developed in great detail and have them struggle through hardships to find each other rather than falling in love at first sight. If you don't mind that, then you won't have a problem with Peculiar Children.
Secondly, at about two-thirds of the way through, the plot switches from character development and storytelling to action. The switch isn't bad, but I felt it lost a little bit of steam though it tries to keep up a fast pace.
Overall, I would say it's definitely worth a read; at only 225 pages, it will be a quick pool- or beach-side summer read. And the author definitely left enough room for at least another sequel, possibly more.
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment