Sunday, June 26, 2011

Keep On Going, Cassandra Clare!

City of Fallen Angels
by Cassandra Clare


4 out of 5 stars

I honestly can't say what took me so long to get around to reading this book, especially since I LOVE the other books in her series. But read it I did, and I'm happy to report that it's a solid addition to the Mortal Instruments collection.
This fourth book picked up just a couple months after the end of the last one. Jace and Clary are together, of course, so we're ready for some of that tension between the two - which has spanned the entire series - to finally disappear. Oh wait: it DOESN'T, because although they've declared their true love to each other, Jace can't handle being in a relationship, so he of course tries to push her away. Which of course wreaks havoc on everybody.
I will say I didn't give more stars here because Jace has become a bit too mopey and mournful, rather than being is usually infuriating, hilarious self. There was a disappointing lack of comedy on his part, and I missed that.
However, while Jace faded somewhat, we really got up close and personal with some of the other characters who are awesome in their own right, particularly Simon and Isabelle. I think these two especially are really great characters, and I'm looking forward to reading more into their stories.
Overall, definitely a worthwhile, fun read. Plus, Cassandra Clare threw in some references to her prequel series, the first book of which is Clockwork Angel. I loved when she mixed in these characters, and I loved Clockwork Angel - I can't wait till the sequel to that one comes out.
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment