Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Wolves of Andover

The Wolves of Andover
By Kathleen Kent



Rating: 2.5 out of 5 Stars

I bought this book purely on a whim at the closing sale of my local Border's, knowing only that it was historical and the main character finally had a good name (Martha). Unfortunately, those were some of its most redeeming qualities. While I felt that there was so much potential for the plot, it was treated almost too gently; it could have used more passion and drama. And while the love story showed promise, the second storyline took chunks out of the romance. I have a general rule of thumb: if I have to skip sections of a novel, then it probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. The secondary plot in this case was less interesting than the main story, and Kent's rigid use of the alternating-chapter motif really slowed down the plot (for the worse).
Truthfully, I think this author has lots of potential, but if I'm to continue reading her books, she'll need to modify her double-storyline approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment